Monday, January 31, 2011

Pressing Toward the Mark

Pressing Toward the Mark
Introduction: Many times today we let satan cause us to look back at past forgiven sins. Many times that old devil causes us to look at grudges that we have had for years toward someone that has hurt our feelings or has offended us in some way.  As born again believers we need to stay focused on the Lord Jesus Christ. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.  After you are born again it is time to press on toward what God wants you to do.
Text: Philippians 3:7-14 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
I.)                 Do not look back!
Luke 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
II.)              Look unto Jesus!
Hebrews 12:1-2 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
III.)           Make sure you stay in the race!
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
IV.)           Don’t let satan hinder you!
Galatians 5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

      V.)Stay in the fight!
 2 Timothy 4:7-8  I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:      Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
Ephesians 6:10-18 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Conclusion: In concluding let us think of some ways we can achieve this goal for God.
1.      Be persistent.
2.      Set goals high enough to reach for God.
3.      Get a burning desire to do God’s work.
4.      Keep your eyes set on the goal.
5.      Refuse negative critics.
6.      Surround yourself with encouraging Christians.
7.      Learn personal lessons from defeats.
8.      Practice self control.
9.      Believe you can reach your goal.
10.  Rely on God to enable you.
11.  Trust God to empower you.
12.  Bury defeat and failure
13.  Resurrect Godly goals
14.  ASK GOD FOR GUIDANCE: (PRAY, STUDY AND APPLY) what God teaches you by the guidance of the Holy Ghost. James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.  John 16:13  Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment