PRAYING FOR SPIRITUAL UNDERSTANDING
Introduction: Many times people just pick up the Bible and treat it just like any other book without praying for spiritual understanding of what they read. They forget that the Word of God is spiritually discerned. 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. They also forget that the word didn’t come by the will of man. 2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost We need to pray that the Spirit of truth the (Holy Ghost) will guide us into all truth. John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Text: James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
I) Seek God First
* Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
* Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
* Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
II) Let God change you
* James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
* Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
* Philippians 1:9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;
* 1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
* 2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
III) Prove Spiritual with Spiritual
* 1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
* Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
* 2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
* Galatians 6:4 But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.
* 1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
Conclusion: Colossians 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;